Sunday, March 1, 2020

For the Love of Crafting...



It’s been a crafty drought around here, between lack of creative mojo and life in general, not much craftiness has gone on here. January was just a wash, and I spent the better part of February putting out the fires from January… I know I’m not the only one out there that has dealt with this at the start of 2020. But that is all behind me, I hope… and March is NATIONAL CRAFTING MONTH!!!! A whole month dedicated to crafting! A whole month for us, the makers!!!! And coming up in May there’s a whole day dedicated to scrapbooking… International Scrapbooking Day! Yeah, the craft companies most likely made both of those up, but hey… I’m not complaining…



 Did you know that Michael’s Stores has a community classroom where you can earn money to teach your craft? Painting, papercrafting, sewing, painting, jewelry making? Just go to Michael’s.com and click on the classes and events prompt in the upper right corner of the page and go from there. The possibilities are endless. If you’re not up to teaching a class, it’s also a great way to schedule a crafting SOCIAL, a time and place for local crafters to meet, chat, learn from each other… and make new crafty friends. From scrapbooking and planner meet ups, to knitting and crocheting circles… It’s time to step outside your comfort zone and Facebook group, pack a small crafty bag, and meet people in person.  Don’t get me wrong, I love my Facebook creative groups… I really do.

On that note, local Sacramento Valley crafters… those who haven’t learned how to scrapbook, or want to gift this class to a friend or family member, I will be teaching a beginning scrapbooking class at the Rancho Cordova Michael’s on Olsen Drive.  For those of you who don’t know, that’s in California. Date is Friday, March 20 at 6PM.  

Ok listeners… I know most of you Instagram…. I, the Duchess have an Instagram page @theduchessofsassytown. Here I’ve been posting encouragement, daily crafty goodness, self-care hacks and general sassy-ness. I want to do more though, for you, my listeners… like post monthly creative challenges, get to know you lists and even a giveaway or two, or three.  I’m just as new to Instagram as I am to podcasting… Three days ago I posted about overthinking…. Sooo guilty of this, especially when it comes to my creativity and I always manage to talk myself out of some great ideas… out of fear. Four years ago I tried a YouTube channel… I made one instructional video and I quit. Out of fear. Afraid it wouldn’t work, afraid I’m not good enough, afraid I was making a fool out of myself. The list is long… we all know it. I find myself feeling like that awkward, invisible and sometimes bullied 13 year old… that was almost 35 years and a lot of therapy ago. Last year I decided to turn the thinking around, and with the encouragement of some sisters and brothers in the crafting community I started this podcast, using only my iPhone and a great little app called Anchor. Over the next six months I created about six fairly decent podcasts… and then I got creatively stuck, and that’s when I turned to Instagram and it’s creative community for feedback and inspiration…. And that’s where I am now.

I am working to turn this podcast into something makers and people seeking creative inspiration want to listen too… and then some. I want to be that encouraging person to the ones that are out there struggling to find their creative voice, their outlet of expression.  I also want this podcast to be a place to learn about self-care and encouragement…. And then there’s always the sassy-ness, which I plan to add book and movie reviews… I will continue to report on the latest and greatest paper crafty news, both local to me and worldwide, that won’t change. Hopefully I’ll be able to wrangle some crafty and inspirational guests….

What’s coming this month? A four-part series called Sacred Spaces… in the triangle of self-care that I often talk about, spirituality… your spirit is one of the sides of the triangle. During this season of renewal we will explore and learn about creating a sacred space for yourself, no matter what your spiritual journey is… a place to practice spiritual self-care. I will also be posting the series on my blog as well… My blog link is in my Instagram Profile, as well as my profile for the podcast on Anchor.

A glimpse into my sacred space...

Thank you for taking the time to read, spread the word, follow my Instagram page if you already aren’t,  and listen to my podcast...there are also lots of episodes to listen to if you are a first time listener (you can tune in on Apple podcasts, Spotify, Anchor, Radio Public, Breaker and Pocket Casts)… the messages are timeless. And remember, be you, not them.

No comments:

Post a Comment